Makes 3-4 servings as a side dish This recipe is gluten free.
- 3 medium sized beets, any variety (I used a mix of red and golden beets)
- a small drizzle of olive oil, for roasting the beets
- 1 ripe pear, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled (or more)
- a few handfuls of salad greens of your choice
- 1/4-1/2 cup cooked quinoa (optional, for a heartier salad)
- micro sprouts, for garnish (also optional)
- 1-2 tbsp walnut oil
- a drizzle of balsamic vinegar
- a drizzle of honey
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Roast the beets by drizzling them with a bit of olive oil, some salt and pepper, and wrapping them in foil. Depending on the size and freshness of your beets, they should take from 40 minutes to 1 hour to roast in the oven. Check occasionally, when they are fork-tender they are done. Set them aside to cool -- as soon as they are cool enough to touch, run them under the faucet and slide off the skins with your hands. Chop into roughly 1/2 inch cubes and set them aside to cool completely. (To save time, I suggest doing this up to one day ahead of time and popping them in the fridge until you're ready to assemble the salad).
- (optional step) Take the already-cooked quinoa and toast it a little, by tossing it in a small hot skillet for a couple of minutes. Drizzle a little walnut oil and some salt on it, and remove from the heat and set aside. If you're not familiar with how to cook quinoa, I like this method.
- Assemble all salad ingredients on a platter. Drizzle with a liberal amount of walnut oil, a bit of balsamic vinegar, a little honey, and some salt and pepper. (or for a cleaner look, toss the balsamic only with the red beets, before assembling the salad).
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market