- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 8 cups peeled and coarsely chopped root vegetables such as carrots, celery root, parsnips and/or turnips
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 green onions, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- In medium sauce pot, add garlic, vegetables and enough salted water to cover; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to medium; cover and simmer 20 to 22 minutes or until vegetables are very tender.
- Drain vegetables. In same sauce pot, heat butter, cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg to simmering over medium heat; return vegetables to sauce pot. With potato masher, mash vegetables until slightly chunky. Heat through over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Serve topped with green onions.
- Makes about 6 cups.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market