- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium fennel bulbs (2 1/2 pounds), cut lengthwise into 1/4'-thick slices
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 lemon
- 1 serrano chile, seeded, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds (from 1/2 small pomegranate)
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add fennel; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until fennel is just tender and lightly golden, 1012 minutes. Stir in lemon juice, cumin, and sugar; cook for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring quinoa and 3 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until quinoa is cooked, about 10 minutes. Drain; return to pan. Cover; let sit for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork; transfer to a large bowl.
- Using a small sharp knife, cut all peel and white pith from lemon. Cut between membranes to release segments; discard membranes and roughly chop. Add lemon with any juices and remaining 1 Tbsp. oil to quinoa; stir. Add fennel mixture, chile, and herbs. Toss gently to incorporate. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer salad to a platter; sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market