- 1 lb pork sausages (or sausages of your choice)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 apples, sliced and cored, but not peeled
- 2 small parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 1 heaped tsp plain flour (GF use Domata or Cornstarch)
- 275ml dry cider
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 12 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F.
- Take a large oven-proof casserole, heat the oil in it and brown the sausages all round. Then, using a slotted spoon, remove them to a plate while you brown the onions lightly. When they are done, sprinkle in the flour to soak up the juices, then gradually stir in the cider, before adding the tomato purée.
- Put the sausages back in, plus the apples, parsnips, garlic, chopped sage leaves and a little seasoning; put a lid on when it all comes to simmering point and then transfer to the oven for 30 minutes.
- When the 30 minutes is up, remove the lid and cook for a further 20-30 minutes. Serve immediately with mashed potatoes.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market