- 2 lbs. red, yukon, or russet potatoes, peeled, cubed into 2 inch pieces
- 1-4 whole cloves of garlic, peeled
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons butter, cubed
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese (the sharper the better)
- ? 1cup half and half or milk
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives
- Place the peeled potatoes in a large pot or dutch oven. Add cold water to the pot so that the potatoes are completely submerged and the water is about 2 inches over the potatoes. Add ¾ teaspoon of salt and the peeled garlic cloves to the water.
- Turn the heat on high and bring the potatoes to a boil. Cook the potatoes for 15-20 minutes or until they are fork tender.
- Drain the potatoes, but do not rince. Add the potatoes back into the pot and add the cubed butter in. Using a potato masher or a hand beater, mash/beat the potatoes to desired consistency. Switch to a rubber spatula and fold in the sour cream, and cheddar cheese. Add ? cup of half and half and stir to combine.
- Continue adding half and half till the potatoes reach your desired consistency. Sprinkle in the chives. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market