- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ cup brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 pear, halved. Cored and thinly sliced
- 1 stick butter, divided and softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup buttermilk + 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour (GF use Domata)
- ? teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9 inch round cake pan. For the pears.
- Melt three tablespoons of butter in a large sauté pan over a medium heat. Add water and brown sugar, cook over a medium heat until brown sugar is dissolved, about three minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add pears. Cook another two minutes. Set aside.
- Melt four tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan over a medium heat, swirl butter until it begins to brown and smells nutty. Pour into a bowl and stick in the freezer for about 10 minutes until it becomes a consistency close to softened butter. (you may have to stir every five minutes to make sure it doesnt freeze)
- Whisk flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder together in a medium bowl.
- Cream softened butter and softened brown butter with sugar in the bottom of a stand mixer over a medium-high speed until combined, about three minutes. Reduce speed to low and add eggs one at a time, until each is incorporated. Add vanilla.
- With the mixer on low, add flour and buttermilk in three batches, alternating first with the flour and then buttermilk. Mix until combined.
- Arrange pears in the bottom of the greased cake pan. Pour the caramel over.
- Working carefully, dollop the batter over the pear mixture and spread the batter carefully and evenly over the pears, making sure not to move the pears.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a wooden skewer comes out with just a few crumbs attached.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market