- 2/3 cup + 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar, divided
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) of unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups of all-purpose flour (GF use Domata)
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/3 cup of sour cream
- 2 small apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 (12 ounce) bag of fresh cranberries, rinsed and dried
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour (GF use Domata)
- 1/4 cup of light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) of unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9? x 13?-inch baking pan with non-stick baking spray. Line it with a sheet of parchment paper leaving a generous overhang for easy removal; set aside.
- Using a stand or electric mixer (or mix by hand) mix together 2/3 cup of sugar, lemon zest and butter. Add eggs, one at a time then vanilla extract.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Slowly add the dry mixture into the egg mixture, 1/3 at a time, mixing each time until just moistened, while scraping down the sides. Add sour cream and mix until combined (do not overmix).
- In a small bowl add sliced apples and douse with lemon juice, using your fingers to combine; set aside.
- Dollop batter into the prepared pan, using a spatula to spread the batter into an even layer. Place the apple slices over the top of the batter, then place the cranberries over the apple slices. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar over the top.
- For the crumb: Mix flour, brown sugar, salt and butter in a medium bowl with your fingertips until it looks like wet sand. Sprinkle evenly over the entire batter and bake for 45-50 minutes or until toothpick/tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool completely before cutting into the pan. Once cooled, cut into squares and serve.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market