- 1 ripe sweet pineapple
- 1 tablespoon oil, divided
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 green onions, whites chopped, greens cut into ½-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 cups cold cooked rice (white or brown)
- 1 cup frozen diced carrots and peas, thawed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon coriander spice
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes
- ¼ cup roasted cashews
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (GF Use LaChoy)
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Prepare the pineapple by cutting it in half. Carve out the flesh while leaving the skin intact to create cavities. Chop half of the flesh into small chunks ( about 1 cup) and set aside. Freeze
- remaining pineapple for other use. Pat the pineapple halves dry with paper towel. Cover the leaves with aluminum foil to keep from burning. Bake the pineapple boats for about 5 minutes to dry them.
- Heat ½ tablespoon of oil in a large skillet or wok on high heat. Add the eggs and cook without stirring for about 30 seconds. Then stir quickly to scramble and remove from pan.
- Add the remaining ½ tablespoon oil to the pan, stir in onion whites and garlic and stir fry for half a minute until fragrant. Add the thawed carrots and peas and fry for a couple minutes.
- Push the veggies to one side of the pan, then add the cold cooked rice. Stir fry on high while adding coconut milk, soy sauce and spices (salt, pepper, turmeric, coriander and chili flakes).
- Combine with the veggies from the side of the pan and stir scrambled eggs back into the rice. Add in green onion pieces, chopped pineapple and cashews and stir. Fill into pineapple shells and bake for about 10 minutes until heated through.
- Garnish with more cashews and green onion. Serve right away.
- The version I made at home is meatless but any kind of protein can easily be added. We've had it with everything from chicken, shrimp to sliced sausage even.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market