- 1 lb. ground beef
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. Taco Seasoning (GF use McCormic GF Taco Seasoning)
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- vegetable oil
- 2 corn tortillas, cut into 1/4" strips
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 pt. cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 c. shredded Cheddar
- 1 c. Pico de Gallo
- sour cream
- 1/4 c. fresh chopped cilantro
- In a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, brown beef, breaking up meat into small pieces using a wooden spoon. Season with salt and pepper and add taco seasoning, 2 tablespoons water, and tomato paste. Cook through, about 5 minutes. Turn off heat and set aside.
- In a sauté pan, add about 1/2" of vegetable oil. Heat until hot but not smoking, then fry tortilla strips until golden brown. Transfer strips to a plate lined with paper towels and season with salt just after removing from hot oil.
- Assemble salad: In four bowls, layer romaine, tomatoes, black beans, and warm taco meat. Top with cheese, pico de gallo, and sour cream, then garnish with cilantro and crisp tortilla strips.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market