- 1 (3-1/2 pound) chicken, flattened
- Kosher salt
- 1/3 cup good olive oil
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, halved
- Sprinkle the chicken with 1 teaspoon salt on each side
- Combine the olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, rosemary, and 1 teaspoon pepper in a ceramic or glass dish just large enough to hold the flattened chicken. Add the chicken, and turn to coat. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight, turning once or twice.
- When ready to grill, prepare a hot charcoal fire on one side of a grill (or turn a gas grill on low heat). Spread ¼ of the coals across the other side of the grill. Place the chicken on the cooler side skin side up, and weight it down with the dish you used for marinating. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes, until the underside is golden brown. Turn the chicken skin side down, weight again with the dish, and cook for another 12 to 15 minutes, until the skin is golden brown and the chicken is cooked through.
- Place the lemon halves on the cool side of the grill, cut side down, for the last 10 minutes of cooking. Remove the chicken to a plate or cutting board, cover with aluminum foil, and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Cut the chicken in quarters, sprinkle with salt, and serve with the grilled lemon halves.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market