- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour (GF use Domata)
- 2 cups beef broth or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breasts or thighs (optionally boneless and skinless)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup gruyere, grated
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat, add the onions and cook until a deep golden brown, about an hour, stirring occasionally, adding a bit of water or broth to deglaze the pan as needed.
- Add the garlic, thyme and flour and cook for another minute while stirring.
- Add half of the broth, deglaze the pan, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in another pan over medium-high heat, season the chicken with salt and pepper, add the chicken and brown on both sides, about 2-4 minutes per side before setting aside.
- Add the remaining cup of broth to the pan, deglaze it, mix in the balsamic vinegar and mustard, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer to reduce by half, about 5 minutes.
- Place the onions in an oven safe pan, top with the chicken pan, cover with a lid or foil and bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle on the cheese and broil until it has melted, about 2-4 minutes
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market