- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 large potatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ? lb shaved ham, finely chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 355 degrees.
- Thoroughly grease a 7½ or 8 inch pan. Line the base of the pan with parchment paper. If your pan isn't non-stick, line the sides of the pan also.
- Sauté the onion in olive oil until soft.
- While onions are sautéing, peel and cut the potatoes in half (crosswise, not lengthwise). Place in pan with cold water. Boil potatoes until tender. Drain and allow potatoes to cool. Once cool, cut into thin rounds.
- Combine the two cheese in a bowl.
- Cover the base of the prepared pan with a layer of potato slices. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top with half the ham and onion. Sprinkle with about one-third of the combined cheeses. Continue layering ingredients, seasoning each layer of potatoes, finishing with a layer of cheese.
- Use a whisk or fork to beat the eggs and cream until well blended. Gently pour the mixture over the ingredients in the pan.
- Bake for about 50-60 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the egg mixture has set. If the top begins to over-brown before the egg mixture has set, cover with aluminum foil.
- Remove from oven and set aside for 5-10 minutes before removing from pan. Cut into wedges to serve. Garnish with chives or green onions.
- This can be served warm or at room temperature.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market