- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and finely chopped (3/4 cup)
- 2 ½ tsp chicken bouillon
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 ½ cups long grain white rice
- 1 (15.5 oz each) cans black beans, with liquid
- 1 ¾ cups water
- 1 TB red wine vinegar
- Optional Garnish: Chopped Cilantro or sliced green onions
- Place garlic clove on a cutting board and sprinkle with table salt. Let sit for 3 minutes and mince into a paste with knife. Set aside.
- Place bacon and olive oil in a large heavy pot. Constantly stir over medium heat until bacon renders fat and turns golden brown, about 6 minutes. Add onion, green pepper, and garlic paste into the bacon and stir until the vegetables are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the bouillon powder, the bay leaf, cumin, oregano, and rice. Stir for about 1 minute until well mixed and the rice is coated in oil.
- Add the beans with their liquid, the water, and the vinegar. Mix to combine. Cover and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce to a simmer, and simmer covered for 45 minutes. Do not peek. Keeping pot covered, let it rest off the heat for another 10 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork and serve.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro or green onions if desired.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market