- 6 skinless chicken thighs, bone-in
- Salt and pepper to season
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (more if needed )
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (or 8 cloves)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 small yellow pepper,diced
- 1 small red pepper, diced medium
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced
- 10 oz, sliced
- ½ cup pitted black olives
- 8 sprigs of thyme
- 2 tablespoons each freshly chopped parsley and basil, plus more to garnish
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 150 ml red wine
- 2x 14 oz cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 7 oz mini Roma tomatoes, halved
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a heavy cast iron skillet, drizzled with olive oil.
- Add the garlic and fry until fragrant (about 30 seconds). Add the onion, peppers, carrot, mushrooms and the herbs; sauté for 5 minutes until the onion is transparent and the vegetables are beginning to soften.
- Add the chicken and sear on both sides until deep golden brown on both sides. (Occasionally mix the vegetables around the chicken in the pan so they don't stick).
- Pour in the wine and allow it to simmer and reduce down (about 5-6 minutes).
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, Roma tomatoes and chill flakes. Season with salt and pepper to your tastes. Continue to cook over stove top OR in the oven following the instructions below.
- FOR STOVE TOP:
- Mix all of the ingredients together; cover with lid, reduce heat and allow to simmer (while stirring occasionally) for 30-40 minutes or until the meat is falling off the bone. Add in the olives, allow to simmer for a further 10 minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
- FOR THE OVEN:
- Transfer the covered skillet to a preheated oven at 375°F | 190°C and cook for 50 minutes. Remove the lid and cook for an additional 20 minutes until the chicken is tender and falling off the bone, and the sauce has reduced down.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market