- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups diced rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 (15 oz) can sweet corn, drained
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (8 1/2 oz) package corn muffin mix (GF use GF Corn Bread Mix)
- 4 oz French fried onions, divided (Omit if making GF and add in 2 tsp dehydrated onions or chopped green onion)
- 4 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly spray a 2 quart (I used a 9x11" pan) casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet pan over medium-high heat and saute the peppers for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken, water, taco seasoning, corn, beans and tomato sauce to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Prepare the corn muffin mix according to the package instructions and stir in half of the French fried onions into the batter.
- Pour the chicken mixture into the prepared dish and spread the cornbread batter on top. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the cornbread topping is golden brown.
- Top the casserole with the remaining onions and shredded cheese. Bake for another 3-5 minutes or until the cheese has melted. (If making Gluten free, top with chopped green onion.)
- Remove the casserole from the oven and allow it to rest for several minutes before serving.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market