- 4-6 large beef cube steaks
- 8-10 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced thickly
- 1 medium onion, sliced ¼-inch thick
- 6 tbs olive oil, divided
- 1½ cups high-quality beef stock
- Seasoned Flour:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (GF use Domata)
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Mix the seasoned flour ingredients together. Place about ½ cup on a plate and dredge the cube steaks.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add 2 tbs of the olive oil (it will smoke that's OK). Quickly add the mushrooms and stir until mushrooms are golden. This will take about 3 minutes. Remove mushrooms from the pan.
- Reduce heat under skillet to medium-high. Add 2 tbs olive oil to the pan and brown the cube steaks. You will probably have to do this in shifts because you don't want to crowd the pan. Repeat this step for the remaining shift. Remove the browned cube steaks from the pan. Deglaze the pan with the beef stock.
- Place the browned steaks, mushrooms and onion in the pan. Bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover and cook for 30-40 minutes, or until steaks are tender.
- You have two choices to thicken the juice:
- Remove the steaks and veggies from the pan, increase heat to high and reduce juice 50%
- Remove steaks and veggies from the pan. Mix 2 tbs of the leftover seasoned flour with ¼ cup water and stir the flour/water mixture until there are no lumps. Add to the pan and stir constantly until gravy is thick. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add everything back to the pan and heat through.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market