- 1 head garlic, roasted
- 2 butternut squash, halved lengthwise and seeded (use smaller squash)
- Olive oil, for brushing
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups fresh ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon grated orange or lemon zest (from organic fruit)
- 1 cup grated sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated pecorino cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated
- Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Roast the garlic. When cool enough to handle, squeeze the roasted garlic out of the skins into a bowl and mash the garlic cloves to a paste. At the same time as the garlic is roasting, brush the squash with EVOO and season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Roast the squash until just tender, 35 to 40 minutes. Leave the oven on.
- When the squash is cool enough to handle, carefully scrape out the flesh into a bowl, leaving just enough flesh to keep the shells intact.
- Add the garlic paste, ricotta, thyme, lemon zest, and 3/4 cup each of the cheddar, pecorino, and Parm to the bowl with the squash flesh and mix well.
- Fill the squash shells and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake until browned and bubbling, 15 to 20 minutes.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market