- 2.5lb Pork Shoulder
- 1 cup pear cider (Juice from a can of pears works well)
- ¼ cup cream
- 1 ½ tbsp horseradish
- 3 - 4 sprigs of rosemary
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 2 apples quartered (Honeycrisp or Gala)
- Salt and pepper
- 3 - 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 4 tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 325°F/160°C.
- Pat dry the pork and place it in an oven-proof dish (that snugly fits the pork). Sprinkle salt and pepper over the pork and then add the horseradish and cayenne pepper and rub it all over.
- Add the butter, apples, pear cider, cream, rosemary and garlic to the dish.
- Rub the brown sugar on top of the pork.
- Cover with foil and transfer to the oven. You can insert a meat thermometer to monitor the temperature too.
- Braise for 3 hours.
- Increase the oven temperature to 425°F and remove the foil. Let the surface of the pork caramelize (about 30 - 40 minutes).
- Remove from the oven. Carefully place the pork on a serving dish and cover with Foil.
- Mash the apples and garlic into the juices in the roasting dish (or alternatively blend the apples with the juices in the roasting dish).
- In a saucepan, melt 3 tbsp butter. Add 3 tbsp of flour (GF use cornstarch or Domata) and cook the butter and flour for a few minutes to form a roux. Strain the apple/pear mix into the saucepan and whisk until the gravy thickens. Discard the pulp.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the slow braised pork with a side salad or roasted vegetables or mashed potatoes.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market