- Ingredients German Onion Tart
- For the dough
- 1 cup flour (GF use Domata)
- 4 tsp yeast
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1/8 l milk, 1 egg
- ¼ c soft butter
- For the Topping
- 2 lbs. onions
- 5 tbsp oil
- 2 slices smoked bacon (Speck)
- 8 oz sour cream
- caraway seeds
- sweet paprika powder
- fresh ground pepper
- Cooking Instructions German Onion Tart
- To make the dough sift the flour into a bowl and in the middle create a cavity in which you place the yeast. Sprinkle the sugar over the yeast, warm the milk, pour it over the yeast, then stir it to a dough. Cover the bowl with a kitchen cloth and let it rest at a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Then add the egg, the butter and some salt, and knead it to a smooth dough. Form a ball and let it rest covered for another 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile peel onions and cut them in very thin slices.
- In a skillet heat the oil and fry the onion rings in low heat until transparent. Cut bacon in small cubes and add it to the onions, fry it for another 2 minutes.
- Mix the onion-bacon mix with the sour cream, spice it with caraway seeds, paprika and pepper.
- Sprinkle some flour on a wooden surface (baking board) and roll the dough to the size of the baking tray; place it on the greased tray, press is lightly and with a fork stab is several times; let it rise for another 30 minutes.
- Spread the onion mixture evenly over the dough and bake it in the pore-heated oven for 45 minutes on 200 degrees C.
- Enjoy it with a glass of chilled white wine.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market