- 1 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 5 TBS canola or corn oil
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (GF use Domata)
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 TBS honey
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 8 cups pulled pork with BBQ sauce (Use Shot Gun Eddies Pulled Pork)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 - 4 sliced green onions
- Preheat waffle iron according to manufactures directions.
- In large measuring cup, combine the buttermilk, egg yolks, corn oil and honey. Set aside.
- In large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture and stir to combine. Let mixture sit for about 10 minutes to soften the cornmeal.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, with electric mixer, whip the egg whites to form stiff peaks. Fold the egg whites into the cornmeal batter. Fold in the corn kernels.
- Spray waffle iron lightly with cooking spray, and pour out about 1/3 cup of batter for each waffle and cook in iron to desired doneness. Repeat with batter until all used up. Keep waffles warm in low oven.
- Heat the pulled pork until warm, according to package directions.
- To assemble meal, take one waffle and top with approximately 1 cup pulled pork mixture, 1/4 cup cheese and a sprinkling of green onions. Use two waffles for heartier appetites.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market