- 10 large potatoes of choice (3lbs) (Yukon Gold or Russet Potatoes), peeled
- ¾ cup butter
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup milk (more if needed)
- Peel potatoes and cut into large chunks. Cover with water in a large saucepan/pot, add a good amount of salt and bring to the boil for 20 minutes or until soft and tender but not falling apart.
- Halfway through cooking time, heat butter in a small pan over medium-heat. When butter begins to foam, add the crushed garlic, lower heat to medium and stir continuously until it begins to change colour and turn brown (it's normal to see crispy little brown bits at the bottom of the pan).
- Remove immediately from heat.
- Drain potatoes, transfer them back into the pan/pot. Strain the butter through a sieve straight into the potatoes (reserve the crispy garlic pieces to serve later), and add the cheese and milk. Beat with a hand beater until smooth and creamy (it takes about 1-2 minutes) -- or use a potato masher. Add a small amount of milk if you like a thinner mashed potato consistency. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Serve with more Parmesan, chopped parsley and the crispy pieces of garlic.
- *If using a hand beater, it's important not to over beat them, as they can turn gooey.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market