- Ingredients for the dressing:
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- taste and add salt if needed
- Ingredients for the salad:
- 1 medium head romaine lettuce , chopped in approximately ½ inch pieces
- 1 medium bell pepper, diced in ¼-inch pieces, I used small orange-hued peppers (the mini ones). Feel free to use whichever color you want.
- ½ medium red onion, diced in ¼-inch pieces
- ½ medium jicama, peeled and diced in ¼-inch pieces
- 1 medium zucchini, diced in ¼-inch dice
- 4 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced into ¼-inch dice
- 4 ears corn (if fresh corn is not in season, substitute 1½ cups of sweet, tiny frozen corn)
- 1½ cups canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup finely chopped cilantro, plus whole cilantro leaves for garnish, if desired
- For the dressing, combine lime juice, honey, cumin garlic and salt. Stir to combine.
- In a slow, steady stream, add the oils, stirring continuously with a fork or small whisk. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed. Set aside.
- For the salad, place corn, two ears at a time, in the microwave and cook for 3½ minutes.
- Remove from microwave with a hot pad and allow to cool for 5 minutes. After cooling, cut bottom end of corn off, about 1½ inches from end. Pull back husk and silks (almost all of the silk should easily pull away). Cut kernels from husks and set aside.
- Combine corn and other salad ingredients in a large bowl. Stir to combine. Add dressing and stir to coat all ingredients. Garnish with cilantro leaves, if desired.
- Serve with tortilla strips on top or place a bowl on the side and let guests help themselves.