- 1/2 cup (84 g) dry quinoa (red or white)
- 1 cup (240 ml) vegetable stock (or sub water, but it will have less flavor)
- 5 ounces (142 g) mixed salad greens
- 1/2 cup (70 g) roasted unsalted hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup (80 g ) blueberries
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) grape seed oil
- 2 shallots, minced (or sub 1/2 cup sweet yellow onion)
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) maple syrup (or honey if not vegan)
- 1-2 Tbsp (15-30 ml) olive oil (or sub more
- Pinch each salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup (53 g) blueberries
- Prepare quinoa by rinsing thoroughly with cool water in a fine mesh strainer. Then add to a small saucepan with vegetable stock (or water) and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is fluffy like rice. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- In the meantime, prepare dressing by heating a small skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add 1 Tbsp grape seed oil, shallot, and sauté until tender and slightly caramelized - about 5 minutes - stirring often. Remove from heat to cool.
- Add shallot to a food processor or blender with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, blueberries, maple syrup, and a pinch each salt and pepper. Blend until pureed, scraping down sides as needed. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- To plate, top the mixed greens with slightly cooled quinoa (you may not use it all), blueberries and hazelnuts. Serve with dressing.
- Best when fresh. Serves 2 as an entrée, 4 as a side dish.