- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 Tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 loaf French or Challah bread, sliced into 3/4-inch slices (GF use GF Bread)
- 1 1/2 cups half & half
- 5 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon Grand Marnier (GF use Orange Juice)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat brown sugar, butter and corn syrup in a heavy saucepan over medium heat until well blended, stirring frequently. Pour the syrup into a 9x13" baking dish, tilting the dish to cover. Arrange the bread slices in a single layer over the syrup. Just squish the bread pieces in so that they all fit in there.
- Whisk half and half, eggs, vanilla, liqueur and salt in bowl until well blended. Pour over the bread layer. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 8 to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove dish from refrigerator and let stand until room temperature (about 30 minutes).
- Bake on middle rack for 35-40 minutes or until edges are golden brown and puffed. Serve with a sprinkle of powdered sugar, and/or syrup, if desired.
- *If you do not wish to use Grand Marnier (a liqueur), you can add orange juice in its place.
- *Serve with fresh berries.
- *Garnish each serving with a sprig of mint.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market