- 4 ears fresh corn, husked and kernels cut from cob (3 1/2 cups) (Or frozen corn)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt to your taste
- 1/3 cup chopped red or green onion (if using red run under water and drain to remove harsh bite)
- 1/3 cup slightly packed cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded and minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 oz Cotija cheese, finely crumbled
- 3 Tbsp mayonnaise (light or regular)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lime juice, divided
- 1/2 tsp chili powder, then more to taste (I used part ancho chili powder part regular)
- 1 1/2 medium avocados (semi-firm but ripe) peeled, cored and chopped small
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet until shimmering. Add corn, season with salt to taste and toss, then let cook, tossing only occasionally (about every 2 minutes) until corn is well charred all over (about 6 - 10 minutes total). Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Add corn to a medium bowl along with, onions, cilantro, jalapeno, garlic, 3/4 of the Cotija, mayonnaise, 1 Tbsp lime juice and chili powder and toss. Pour remaining 1/2 Tbsp lime juice over diced avocados then add to bowl with corn mixture and gently toss.
- Top with remaining Cotija and additional chili powder to taste.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market