- A drizzle olive or vegetable oil
- 4 ounces lean, smoky bacon, chopped
- 12 ounces ham steak, 1/2-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 starchy potatoes, peeled and chopped (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 large fresh bay leaf
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 pounds sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- One 15-ounce can white or red kidney beans
- Salt and pepper
- A handful fresh parsley leaves, chopped, for garnish
- Heat the oil in soup pot or Dutch oven.
- Add the bacon and brown. Remove the bacon, and reserve.
- Add the ham and brown, then remove and reserve. Melt in the butter, and add the garlic, onions, potatoes, carrots and bay leaf.
- Partially cover and cook to soften, 10 minutes. Add the stock, 2 cups water, the reserved ham and bacon, the sauerkraut and beans, and simmer until potatoes are cooked and soup flavor combines, 15 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cool completely and store for a make-ahead meal.
- To serve, reheat over medium heat. Add the parsley just before serving
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market