- 1 1/2 to 2 cups diced corned beef, about 8 ounces
- 16 ounces sauerkraut, preferably fresh, drained and rinsed, squeezed dry
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup shredded mild Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup light Thousand Island dressing
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise, light or regular
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 slices rye bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Spray an 8-inch square (2-quart) baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Heat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, combine corned beef, sauerkraut, onion, cheeses, dressing, mayonnaise, and pepper; stir with a spoon or hands until well blended. Pat into prepared baking dish.
- Tear bread into pieces and process until crumbs are fine. Put in a bowl and toss with the melted butter. Sprinkle crumbs over the casserole.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until topping is browned and filling is bubbly.
- Serves 6 to 8.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market