- 4 fresh soft shell crabs
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour (GF use Domata)
- 1 teaspoon red cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt (like Lawry's)
- Vegetable oil
- Kosher salt
- Lemon wedges
- Using kitchen shears cut off the "face" of the crab, right behind the eyes. You are only cutting about 1/2 inch.
- Flip the crab over to the bottom side and pull up on the middle "lever" looking piece. Cut it off. This is piece is called the apron.
- Flip the crab back over and lift up both sides, pull out the lungs.
- Rinse the crabs under water and if desired press out the green "tamale" from the inside of the crab. (Not sure what in the heck is a green "tamale"? It's simply the greenish-yellow stuff from the inside of the crab. You can't miss it, but honestly it doesn't taste gross so don't feel like this step is necessary)
- Pat the crabs dry and set aside while you prepare the flour and oil.
- In a small dish add flour, red cayenne pepper and seasoned salt. Mix together. Lightly coat the crabs in flour and set aside while the oil heats
- In a large skillet add 1 inch of oil and set over medium high heat. When the oil is hot add 2 crabs and cook 4 minutes per side. The crabs will be done when their shell turns red and they are plump.
- Add cooked crab to a paper towel lined plate. Sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Add remaining two crabs to a the skillet and repeat.
- Serve hot or room temperature with lemon wedges
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market