- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 thin-skinned lemons, sliced paper-thin crosswise, seeds discarded
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour(GF use Domata)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Sweetened whipped cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Set a 9-inch nonstick cake pan over moderate heat. Add 4 tablespoons of the butter and when it is melted, stir in the brown sugar until dissolved, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- Arrange the lemon slices in the melted brown sugar.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the remaining 8 tablespoons of butter with the granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the vanilla and the egg yolks, one at a time. At low speed, beat in the dry ingredients in 3 batches, alternating with the milk.
- In a stainless steel bowl, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar at high speed until firm peaks form. Fold one-third of the beaten whites into the batter, then fold in the rest.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then invert it onto a plate. Serve warm or at room temperature with whipped cream.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market