- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, divided
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 2 slices bacon, cut into small strips or cubes
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Heat the oven to 425 F.
- Set a rimmed baking sheet in the oven to heat.
- Cut the sprouts into quarters, then place them in a medium bowl.
- Toss with the oil, half of the smoked paprika, and generous pinches of salt and pepper.
- Remove the hot baking sheet from oven and line with kitchen parchment (be careful!).
- Scatter the sprouts on hot pan, then roast until tender on the inside and crispy dark golden brown on the outside, 13 to 15 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until it turns crispy. Add the shallots, apple and remaining smoked paprika, then cook for another 5 minutes, or until soft.
- If the bacon has not given off enough fat to saute with, you may need to add a teaspoon of olive oil.
- Increase the heat to high, then add the vinegar and 1 tablespoon of water.
- Stir to deglaze the pan (don't have your face too close to the pan or you will inhale quite an intense whiff of vinegar).
- Add the roasted Brussels sprouts to the skillet and stir to coat. Transfer to a serving dish.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market