- Roasted Root Vegetable & Gruyere Gratin
- Serves: 8
- 1 Gluten Free baguette, cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 5 large parsnips, peeled and sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 5 medium or large beets, peeled and sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups Gruyere, grated
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Bunch of rosemary
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a food processor, combine baguette, olive oil and garlic. Pulse until it resembles medium-size meal. You should still have some texture and larger pieces of bread. Set aside.
- In a small sauté pan, heat butter and add onion, cooking until translucent.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sliced root vegetables with sautéed onion and fold to combine.
- Butter the gratin dish. Place one third of the vegetables in an even layer on the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of flour evenly over the top, and season with salt and pepper. Top with one third of the breadcrumbs and one third of the cheese. Repeat twice to use up all ingredients, omitting flour on the top layer.
- Pour cream over the top. Make sure that only a little cream is visible when pressing the vegetables down flat.
- Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove cover and bake another 30 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and vegetables are tender. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh rosemary.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market