- 1 whole chicken, 4-5lbs, giblets removed
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 celery ribs, diced
- 3 carrots or 12 mini carrots, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced into ½ -inch diced, you may use any baking potato
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- ½ cup fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped,
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- ½ lb. ditalini pasta (GF use GF Orzo or some other small pasta)
- In a large soup pot place whole chicken, onion, red peppers, celery, carrots, potatoes, diced tomatoes with their juices and then add enough cold water to cover by 1 inch. Over high heat bring to a boil.
- Then add parsley, garlic, 1 tablespoon of salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover partially with a lid. Let it simmer for 2 hours, or until chicken is falling off the bone.
- Remove chicken and let it cool, for 30 minutes or until cool to the touch.
- Reduce heat to low and let the soup continue to simmer.
- Remove all the meat from the chicken and shred the chicken into large pieces. Discard the skin and bones.
- In a medium sauce pan cook pasta as directed on box. Drain well and set aside in a bowl.
- Using a potato masher, mash the soup around a few times, letting some of the potatoes get a little smashed. I dont try too hard on this, I just mash 2-3 times and call it good.
- Add the shredded chicken and noodles to the pot. **We actually like to serve the serve the soup with the noodles on the side, letting each person add the amount of noodles they want.*
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market