- 6 chicken thighs, bone-in/skin on
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable or canola oil
- 2 slices bacon, diced (applewood smoked is nice!)
- 1/2 cup diced onion (about 1/2 medium onion)
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 3/4 cup apple juice or cider
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups thinly sliced apples (about 2 un-peeled apples, cored, quartered and sliced)
- 1/2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves (or 1/4 tsp. dried thyme or Herbes de Provence)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp. dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch mixed with 1 Tbsp. water (or mix with reserved pan drippings for a bit of extra flavour)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375° F. and line a baking sheet with foil (for easy cleanup!). Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Dry chicken thighs well and sprinkle skin with salt and pepper. Once oil is hot, place thighs, skin side down in to the oil and allow to cook until golden brown. Flip and cook on the other side for a few minutes.
- Remove chicken to the prepared baking sheet and place in to the pre-heated oven. (*Watch skin as chicken cooks in the oven and cover loosely with a piece of foil if it starts to brown too much).
- Meanwhile, remove the oil and drippings from the pan and reserve. Cook the bacon in the same skillet over medium-high heat until starting to brown.
- Add the onions and cook until the bacon is crisp and the onions are lightly browned. Add the white wine and allow to cook until the alcohol smell burns off (1-2 minutes). Add the apple juice, chicken stock, apples and thyme.
- Bring to a boil, then immediately reduce heat to medium-low and allow to simmer until apples soften.
- Add the cream and dijon to the sauce and stir to combine.
- Add a bit of the cornstarch/water mixture a bit at a time until sauce thickens to your liking. Taste and add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Remove chicken from oven and check for doneness (if you have a thermometer, should be about 165° F.). Otherwise, cut in to one and check. Juices should run clear and the meat should not be pink near the bone.
- If necessary, return to the oven for longer while you keep your sauce warm over low heat.
- Place chicken on a large serving plate. Spoon sauce around chicken and serve. This chicken is nice with mashed potatoes or rice.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market