- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels (from 4 large ears)
- 1/2 pound green beans, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 3 cups cooked fava beans or frozen baby lima beans, thawed
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs (GF use GF Panko)
- 4 ounces Gruyère cheese, shredded (1 cup)
- Preheat the oven to 425° and position a rack in the center.
- In a large, deep skillet, melt the butter in 2 tablespoons of the oil.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, 5 minutes. Add the bell pepper, corn, green beans, fava beans and Aleppo, season with salt and black pepper and cook, stirring, until the beans are crisp-tender, 3 minutes.
- Add the stock and simmer until evaporated, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the vegetables to a large baking dish and let cool slightly. Stir in the basil, chives, cream and eggs.
- In a small bowl, toss the panko with the shredded cheese and the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Season the topping with salt and pepper; sprinkle over the succotash and bake for 10 minutes, until heated through.
- Turn on the broiler and broil in the center of the oven for about 3 minutes, just until the top is golden.
- Let the gratin stand for 10 minutes, then serve.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market