- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup porter or other dark ale (GF use GF Beer)
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup powdered mustard
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- Kosher salt
- 4 slices of bacon, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- Four 15-ounce cans navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 10 all-beef hot dogs, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- In a saucepan, combine all the ingredients except the salt, bacon, onion, beans and hot dogs.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, whisking to dissolve the sugar.
- Reduce the heat to moderately low and simmer until reduced by one-third, about 20 minutes. Season with salt.
- Preheat the oven to 325°.
- In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, cook the bacon over moderate heat, stirring, until the fat has rendered, 5 minutes.
- Add the onion and cook until softened, 8 minutes.
- Stir in the beans, hot dogs and sauce, cover partially and bake for 1 hour, until the beans are glazed. Season the beans with salt and serve.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market