- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
- ¾ cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, plus more for pan
- 1 pound rhubarb stalks, trimmed
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour (GF use Domata)
- ¾ cup blanched almonds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Butter tart pan and sprinkle with sugar, tapping out excess.
- Slice rhubarb in half lengthwise (quarter if very large). Set 8 of the prettiest pieces aside for the top of the cake; chop remaining rhubarb into ½" pieces.
- Pulse flour, almonds, baking powder, and salt in a food processor until almonds are finely ground (texture should be sandy).
- Place 1 cup butter and ¾ cup sugar in a large bowl.
- Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; reserve pod for another use.
- Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating to blend first egg before adding second. Beat until mixture is pale and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low and gradually add dry ingredients, followed by yogurt.
- Beat, scraping down the sides of bowl as needed, just to combine (batter will be thick).
- Fold in chopped rhubarb and scrape batter into prepared pan. Smooth batter and arrange reserved rhubarb over top; sprinkle with remaining 3 Tbsp. sugar.
- Place tart pan on a large rimmed baking sheet (to catch any rogue juices) and bake, rotating once, until cake is golden brown and rhubarb on top is soft and beginning to brown, 7080 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cake cool before removing from pan.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market