- 6 slices of thick-cut Applewood-smoked bacon
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 1 tablespoon hazelnut or canola oil
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Light green leaves from 2 small heads of Bibb lettuce
- 1/2 cup Concord grapes, halved and seeded
- 4 ounces Gorgonzola dolce, crumbled
- Snipped chives, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 325°.
- On a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet, bake the bacon for about 17 minutes, turning once, until browned but still chewy. Transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain, and then cut into 1-inch pieces. Leave the oven on.
- Meanwhile, spread the hazelnuts in a pie plate and bake for about 12 minutes, until lightly browned and the skins start to crack.
- Transfer the hazelnuts to a clean kitchen towel and rub them together to remove the skins; let cool.
- Coarsely chop the hazelnuts and transfer to a small bowl. Stir in the hazelnut oil and season with salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the sherry vinegar with the minced shallots, lemon juice and sugar.
- Gradually whisk in the olive oil until incorporated.
- Season the shallot vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss the lettuce leaves with 1/4 cup of the shallot vinaigrette and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- On a serving platter or plates, layer the lettuce leaves with the bacon pieces, chopped hazelnuts, Concord grapes and Gorgonzola dolce.
- Garnish with snipped chives and serve, passing the remaining shallot vinaigrette at the table.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market