- 1/2 cup kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups boiling water
- 4 bone-in pork rib chops, cut 1 1/4 inches thick (10 ounces each)
- 1 head of garlic
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound seedless purple grapes, stemmed (3 cups), preferably Concord
- Aged balsamic vinegar, for drizzling
- In a large bowl, stir the salt, sugar and boiling water until the sugar dissolves.
- Let cool until lukewarm. Add the chops and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400°.
- Place the garlic on a sheet of foil and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the oil.
- Wrap tightly and roast until very soft, 45 minutes. Cool. Squeeze the cloves from the skins and mash.
- Light a grill and oil the grate.
- Remove the pork chops from the brine and pat dry.
- Rub all over with 2 tablespoons of the oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill over moderate heat, turning once, until lightly charred and just cooked through, 10 minutes. Transfer to plates; keep warm.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil.
- Add the grapes and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until they start to burst, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and half of the mashed garlic and cook, stirring, until incorporated, 1 minute.
- Reserve the remaining garlic for another use.
- Transfer the grapes to the plates.
- Drizzle the chops and grapes with vinegar and serve.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market