- 1 1/4 cups plus 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 pounds small beets
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons minced shallot
- Two 8-ounce heads of Bibb lettuce, light green leaves only, large leaves torn
- Cilantro leaves and small dill sprigs, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425°.
- In a large, deep ovenproof skillet, whisk 1 1/4 cups of the vinegar with the water, sugar and 1 tablespoon of salt. Add the beets, thyme, garlic and bay leaf.
- Cover the skillet and roast the beets for about 45 minutes, until tender, turning them halfway through.
- Remove the beets from the skillet and let cool completely, then peel and cut into wedges; discard the cooking liquid.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the yogurt with the shallot and the remaining 3 tablespoons of vinegar. Season the dressing with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the lettuce on a platter and top with the beets. Drizzle with half of the dressing and garnish with cilantro leaves and dill sprigs.
- Serve right away, passing the remaining dressing at the table
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market