- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 bone-in chicken breast halves, with skin
- 2 whole chicken legs
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped rosemary leaves
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped thyme leaves
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped basil leaves
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 2 pints grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 450°
- In a small roasting pan, scatter the shallots, carrot and celery in an even layer.
- Rub the chicken with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, then generously season with salt and black pepper.
- Arrange the chicken skin side up on top of the vegetables in the pan. Sprinkle the rosemary, thyme and 1 tablespoon of the basil over the chicken.
- Roast for 35 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in an inner thigh registers 165°. The skin should be golden brown and the juices should run clear.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil over moderately high heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 45 seconds, until golden brown.
- Add the tomatoes, red pepper and vinegar; season with salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the tomatoes are softened, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of basil and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the tomatoes with the roast chicken.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market