- 5 to 6 slices of rye bread, divided (GF use GF Rye Bread)
- 3/4 pound thinly sliced corned beef or pastrami (shaved)
- 1 cup rinsed and well-drained sauerkraut
- 3/4 cup dill pickles, chopped
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 4 cups Swiss cheese, shredded
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup prepared yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup Thousand Island salad dressing
- Butter a deep (11x7x3-inch) baking dish.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Cut 3 to 4 pieces of the bread into cubes so that you have 2 cups of bread cubes.
- Line the bottom of the dish with the bread cubes.
- Cover with half of the corned beef. Make additional layers in this order: sauerkraut, pickles, caraway seeds, 2 cups of cheese, the remaining beef, and the remaining cheese.
- With a whisk, beat together the eggs, milk, mustard and Thousand Island dressing until well mixed.
- Pour over the casserole.
- Using a blender or food processor, make 1 cup of fresh bread crumbs with the remaining slices of bread.
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the top of the casserole. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until set in the center.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market