- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns*
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 4 whole cloves
- 3 medium-size oranges
- 3 mandarin oranges
- 2 Ruby Red grapefruit
- 2 limes
- 6 kumquats (optional)
- 1 (4.4-oz.) package fresh pomegranate seeds
- Toppings: extra virgin olive oil, fresh mint leaves, sea salt
- Bring first 6 ingredients and 1/2 cup water to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Boil, stirring often, 1 minute. Remove from heat, and let stand 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel oranges, next 3 ingredients, and, if desired, kumquats.
- Cut away bitter white pith.
- Cut each fruit into thin rounds. Arrange on a serving platter, and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.
- Pour honey mixture through a fine wire-mesh strainer, discarding solids.
- Drizzle fruit with desired amount of spiced honey; reserve remaining for another use (such as flavoring iced tea).
- Top with a drizzle of olive oil, a handful of mint leaves, and sea salt.
- *Pink or red peppercorns may be substituted.
- Note: Salad may be made up to a day ahead. Prepare as directed; cover and chill up to 24 hours.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market