- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 medium leeks, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup dry vermouth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche or sour cream
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- Freshly ground pepper
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the leeks, onions and 2 teaspoons of salt and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the vermouth and white wine and boil until nearly evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer over moderate heat until the potatoes are very tender, about 35 minutes.
- Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender until very smooth.
- Return the soup to the pan.
- Add the crème fraîche and bring to just a simmer over moderate heat, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt.
- Ladle the soup into heatproof glasses or bowls.
- Garnish with the chives and pepper and serve.
- Make Ahead The pureed soup can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.
- Add the crème fraîche and reheat just before serving.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market