- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 day-old French baguette, cut into 1/4-inch slices (GF use Schaar GF Baguette)
- 1/4 pound good-quality smoked ham, diced
- 6 ounces Gruyère cheese, grated
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups half-and-half
- Salt and pepper
- Grated nutmeg
- 6 scallions, finely slivered
- Heat the oven to 375°F.
- Lightly butter a shallow 2-quart rectangular baking dish.
- Spread the remaining butter thinly on the slices of baguette. Line the baking dish with half the baguette slices, butter side down.
- Arrange the ham and half the cheese over the bread.
- Top with the remaining baguette slices, butter side up, and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Beat together the eggs and half-and-half, adding 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste.
- Grate in a little nutmeg, add the scallions, and whisk again.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish, pushing down to submerge the bread if necessary.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, until the custard is set but still a bit wiggly and the top is nicely browned.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market