- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 oz bacon chopped
- 1 small onion finely chopped (1 cup)
- 10 oz drained and lightly rinsed sauerkraut (3 cups)
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- 5 cups chicken stock or low sodium broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 4 tsp sour cream
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Baby Arugula leaves for garnish
- In a medium pot, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter.
- Add the bacon and onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the bacon is browned and crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sauerkraut and wine and cook until most of the liquid is absorbed, 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the stock and cream and bring to a simmer. Simmer gently until slightly reduced and the flavors meld, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the sour cream, mustard and the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter.
- Working in 2 batches transfer the soup to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into 6 bowls and garnish with arugula.
- Serve with warm biscuits and sausages.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market