- One 1-pound red cabbagehalved, cored and sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons thyme leaves
- 1 árbol chile with seeds, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 1/2 cup port
- In a large bowl, toss the cabbage, lemon juice and orange juice. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour, tossing occasionally.
- Set a large enameled cast-iron casserole over moderate heat for 1 minute.
- Add the sugar in an even layer and cook without stirring until melted and starting to caramelize, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the butter. Add the onion, thyme, chile, allspice, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.
- Cook over moderate heat, stirring often, until the onion is lightly caramelized, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in the wine and port and cook over moderately high heat until the liquid is reduced to 2/3 cup, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and accumulated juices and 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Cook over moderate heat, stirring often, until the cabbage is tender and glazed, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot or warm.
- Make Ahead The braised cabbage can be refrigerated for 2 days. Reheat before serving. Serve With Bratwurst with Mustardy Fried Potatoes.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market