- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon seedless strawberry jam (at room temperature)
- 6 drops red food coloring
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup superfine sugar or granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup sifted powdered sugar
- Let egg whites stand, covered, in a large stainless-steel or glass mixing bowl at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile cover 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 300 degree F. In a small mixing bowl stir together seedless strawberry jam (at room temperature) and 6 drops red food coloring. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the superfine sugar and powdered sugar; set aside. Uncover eggs and add cream of tartar. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl).
- Add sugar mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating for 5 to 7 minutes on medium speed or until stiff glossy peaks form (tips stand straight up) and sugar is dissolved.
- Use a spatula to gently fold 1/2 cup of the meringue mixture into the jam; then gently fold jam mixture into the remaining meringue.
- Using a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip, (Wilton 2 D) pipe the meringue into 2-inch circles on to parchment paper lined baking sheets.
- Place baking sheets in preheated oven.
- Turn off oven.
- Let meringues dry in oven, with door closed, for 1 hour or until dry and crisp but still light in color.
- Let cool on parchment paper. Gently remove meringues.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market