- 3 cups all-purpose flour (GF use Domata)
- 3/4 cup turbinado sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 stick plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 3/4 cups diced strawberries
- 1 3/4 cups diced fresh rhubarb
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 375° and position the rack in the lower third of the oven.
- Coat 6 jumbo muffin cups with nonstick baking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour with the 3/4 cup of sugar, the baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another large bowl, beat the butter with the eggs until well combined. Fold in the dry ingredients and buttermilk in 2 alternating additions, then fold in the diced strawberries and rhubarb and the grated lemon zest.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups and sprinkle the tops generously with sugar.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until golden on top and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Transfer the muffins to a rack to cool before serving.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market