- 2.5 to 4kg bone in cooked ham, preferably smoked
- 1 cup apricot jam
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp dark rum
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Position rack in lower third of oven. Preheat oven to 325F.
- Slice off and discard ham rind and netting. Trim off all but 1/4-in. layer of fat. Place ham on a rack in a heavy roasting pan.
- Using a sharp knife, score top and sides of ham in a diamond pattern, about 1/4 in. deep.
- Pour water into pan to reach about 1 in. up the sides. Cover ham with foil.
- Bake 15 min per 500 g, 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours total.
- Stir jam with sugar, rum and spices in a medium bowl. Mixture will be lumpy.
- Transfer ham to a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Increase oven temperature to 350F.
- Spread 1/3 of jam mixture over ham. Return to oven. Bake, uncovered, 10 min. Spread with another 1/3 of jam mixture. Continue baking 10 min. Spread with remaining jam mixture. Bake 10 more min. Let stand 10 min before slicing.
- Substitution Tip:
- This recipe also works for 2 1- to 1.25-kg boneless hams. Place cut-side down in a shallow-sided roasting pan or 9×13-in. baking dish. Cover with foil. Bake 15 min per 500 g, about 50 min. Continue with recipe above.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market