- 1. Three 3 1/2- to 4-pound chickens, quartered (see Note)
- 2. 1/2 cup packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 3. 1/2 cup packed basil leaves
- 4. 1/2 cup snipped chives
- 5. 2 tablespoons minced jalapeño
- 6. 1 tablespoon minced thyme
- 7. 1 tablespoon minced rosemary
- 8. 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 9. Kosher salt
- 10. 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for the grill
- 11. 1 cup mayonnaise
- 12. 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 13. Grilled bread, for serving
- 1. Using a sharp knife, score each piece of chicken 2 or 3 times through the skin. Transfer the chicken to a large bowl.
- 2. In a food processor, combine the parsley, basil, chives, jalapeño, thyme, rosemary, garlic and 1 tablespoon of salt; pulse until the herbs are finely chopped. With the machine on, add the 1 cup of olive oil in a steady stream.
- 3. Pour all but 1/2 cup of the marinade over the chicken and turn to coat; rub the marinade into the gashes. Refrigerate the chicken for at least 4 hours or overnight. Add the mayonnaise and lemon juice to the remaining marinade in the processor and pulse until bright green. Scrape the green aioli into a small bowl and refrigerate.
- 4. Light a grill and oil the grates. Grill the chicken over moderate heat, turning occasionally, until lightly charred and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the inner thighs registers 168°, about 35 minutes. Serve the chicken with the green aioli and grilled bread.
Gooseberries Fresh Food Market